Sunday, February 28, 2010

FEED YOUR HEAD

So, I have always loved Alice in Wonderland... I love the story and the imagery and imagination that it inspires.  I love how it has touched different generations of people from Lewis Carroll's book to the Disney cartoon and the Jefferson Airplane song Alice's White Rabbit... I fell in love with it as soon as I got my Peter Weever's illustrated copy of the book when I was a kid.
So naturally, I am super excited about the movie... I think that it is going to be visually stunning and I cannot wait!  However, all that being said, I kind of hate it when something catches on in popular culture and all of a sudden its everywhere you turn! And it almost taints it to some degree because it seems that its being exploited for its commercial value... For example, there are the typical:
Alice Photo Shoots:
Alice Art:
Alice Cakes and Cupcakes:
 And Alice Tatoos:
 

But then, there are also those that are simply for profit, like:
Alice Hats:
 Alice watches:
Alice Tea Sets:
Alice Jewelry of all sorts:
 
Alice Makeup and Nail Polish:
Alice Shoes:
Alice Pill Boxes (rather fitting I suppose)
Playing Cards:
Chess Sets:
Embroidered Bags:
Plushies:
Garden Statues:
 SOURCE: WEHEARTIT, THEWHITERABBIT, ZAZZLE
My God! Does it ever end?  Isn't it bad enough that we over-commercialize EVERY major holiday? And now we have to taint a beloved children's story for profit as well?  It makes me feel kind of gross that I actually like some of this stuff... Does anyone see a pattern here? Remember the Where the Wild Things Are manicure?
What's next? 
AIGHHHHHH. Make it stop.
But, I am still really looking forward to the movie!
 ok. enough ranting for now.

Jessica




2 comments:

  1. WTF IS UP WITH THOSE NAILS. And omg cute Alice stuff! LOVE those tats :)

    I nominated you for a pretty: http://www.sunshine-cupcakes.com/2010/03/very-excite.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww! Thanks Kara that's really sweet!

    ReplyDelete